Saturday, November 14, 2009

Don't forget about Dental Health!



Between Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas we tend to throw the rule book out the window when it comes to sweets. Working as a receptionist at a dentist office and having a mom that is a dental hygienist I definitely see the effects sweets have on people during the holidays. So after a few pieces of candy, a piece of pie, a candy cane, or whatever you crave at desert time don’t forget to take care of your teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes preferably with an electric tooth brush if you have one. Electric toothbrushes are therapeutic and stimulating to the gum tissue. As far as mouthwash I wouldn’t suggest using Listerine which some people use because it has a 17% alcohol content. Chronic use of alcohol (even in mouth wash) can cause precancerous tissue changes. I would suggest using Crest Pro Health mouthwash because it has no alcohol. Floss once a day, morning or night time are both fine, which ever you prefer. Flossing removes harmful bacterial plaque in between teeth. It has been clinically proven that people that floss everyday live two years longer because you keep your heart healthier by decreasing the systemic bacteria. I also have found that when I do have time to thoroughly clean my teeth, including whitening them with my trays, it helps my self esteem. If flossing is a pain in the butt or you don’t have time in the day you can buy something called Flossers or Floss Picks, they’re little tools with a piece of floss attached that makes it much easier. For an effective tooth paste I would suggest Prevident 5000, especially for people that have a high decay rate or sensitivity, you need a prescription for it so ask your dentist. I use it and I swear by it. Usually toothpastes that are recommended by a dentist don’t taste as good as Crest Vanilla mint, Cinnamon, or other fun sounding toothpastes but this toothpaste tastes awesome. By following these rules you will avoid cavities, plaque build up, decay, rotting teeth, cracked teeth, gingivitis, oral cancer, and much more. So don’t forget about dental health and pick up your tooth brush!

2 comments:

  1. Listerine is the best stuff ever invented. Don't forget to floss, mouthwash, and brush daily. And of course, avoid foods high in sugar and gunky crap that sticks to your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very bad about dental health, but it is soooo important. I heard from a friend of mine that flossing regularly is actually linked to the prevention of heart disease.

    ReplyDelete